Ask Dr Nicki: Addictions Acknowledged. Now What?




Once a week I present this feature called, "Ask Dr. Nicki" featuring a question that either a) I generate myself from commonly asked questions, or b) a question that somebody submits to me. I really hope that each and every one of you gets something from my advice!

Dear Dr Nicki-

I’m finally to the place where I can admit I have some addictions. I want to get rid of them but I feel paralyzed and overwhelmed at the thought of where to start. 


People close to me have so many different suggestions, from rehab, to counseling, to self-help courses and books. This is coming from friends and family, and I don’t know who’s opinion to go with, and there are just too many suggestions to do them all at once. I am afraid of stepping into something as drastic as rehab because I can't afford to stop working. 


Where would you recommend I start on this journey? Thank you so much. 


Dr Nicki says:

Dear Brave Questioner!

It's extraordinary when we finally get to the point of acknowledging how in the grip of addiction we are!! It's the vital first step & of this you can be truly proud. 


Now, of course, the work begins.

The smartest most digestible idea in the world is the one-day-at-a-time perspective. That means just for today you stop all addictions. 


Now this is a huge order & the easiest way to feel not so alone with this process is to find a 12 step program. I have no idea what your primary addiction is however there are tons of meetings for everything all the time everywhere. 

Simply go online & seek an appropriate meeting in your area. 

You don't need to proclaim yourself first meeting -- in fact, you don't "need" to do anything except show up. 

Things will unfold from there.

Everyone has opinions about everything as you well know. The best thing you can do for yourself is go be with others who've walked the sobriety path before you. 


They will "get it"!

For this moment feel the importance & value of this excellent admission. 


And please, write back to me and let me know how it goes.

Blessings,


Dr. Nicki


To get YOUR questions answered please submit to: drnicki@stucknomore.com  
OR on any of Dr Nicki's social media!
Facebook: @DrNickiMonti | Instagram: @DrNickiMonti | Twitter: @DrNicki 
Feel free to submit anonymously or by name.




Comments

Popular Posts